The Project Manager oversees the planning, implementation, tracking and closure of specific projects which have a beginning, an end and specified deliverables.
This position requires the ability to monitor, maintain and report the financial and physical status of projects to the Operations Manager. The PM serves as the primary contact for clients, maintaining effective communications and attending status meetings and calls.
PMs operate as part of a team, providing leadership to insure successful completion of all assigned projects.
Plan the project
- Attend pre-bid meetings with the Estimator and gather requirements as needed.
- Refine the scope of the project in collaboration with the estimator/senior management/customer.
- Create a detailed work plan which identifies and sequences the activities needed to successfully complete the project.
- Determine the resources (labor, materials, equipment, etc.) and criteria (locates, permits, safety needs, etc.) required to complete the project.
- Develop a schedule for project completion that effectively allocates the resources to the activities.
- Review the project schedule with all affected stakeholders and senior management as necessary; revise the schedule as required.
- Determine the objectives and measures upon which the project will be evaluated at its completion including hours, costs, revenues, time to invoice, time to close.
Schedule the project
- Maintain effective dialog with division Construction Managers regarding the planning and scheduling of resources for division efforts.
- Prepare the final job folder with all necessary forms, complete work order and all supporting prints and job documentation.
- Meet with Construction Manager to officially review all aspects of the job and formally transition the job to the scheduling/implementation phase of the project.
- In consultation with the appropriate manager, select staff with appropriate skills for the project activities.
- Manage project staff according to the established policies and practices of the organization.
- Ensure that all project personnel receive an appropriate orientation to the project.
- Contract qualified staff to work on the project as needed.
Implement the project
- Demonstrates a team focus, providing leadership, support and adherence to sound business practices.
- Execute the project according to the project plan.
- Use forms and records to document project progress.
- Set up files to ensure that all project information is appropriately documented and secured.
- Monitor the progress of the project and make adjustments as necessary to ensure the successful completion of the project.
- Establish a communication schedule to update stakeholders including appropriate staff in the organization and the customer on the progress of the project.
- Review the quality of the work completed with the project team on a regular basis to ensure that it meets the project standards.
- Ensure all project closing tasks are completed: splicing, site clean-up, as-built drawings.
Control the project
- Provides effective management and utilization of labor, materials and equipment resources, controlling costs within budget guidelines and producing optimal margins.
- Identify areas of risk and opportunity, ensuring projects meet or exceed budgeted financial objectives with focus on revenue, expense control and margin optimization.
- Monitor and approve all budgeted project expenditures.
- Monitor cash flow projections and report actual cash flow and variance to senior management on a regular basis (monthly/bimonthly).
- Manage all project funds according to established accounting policies and procedures.
- Proactively identify problematic design/construction elements and formulate solutions.
- Initiate change orders with the customer for all changes to the scope of work.
- Ensure that all financial records for the project are up to date.
- Prepare documentation for final invoice, financial reports and supporting documentation.
Evaluate the project
- Ensure that the project deliverable's are on time, within budget and at the required level of quality.
- Evaluate the outcomes of the project as established during the planning phase.
- Lead debrief on completed project to track factors affecting successful project implementation and profitability.
Serve as customer liaison
- Identify and develop strategic accounts.
- Communicate effectively with clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative business solutions and strategies.
- Demonstrate a commitment to customer satisfaction and lasting client relationships.
- Complete special projects or other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE/ SKILLS
- High School diploma
- Field experience which includes exposure to aerial, underground and/or splicing disciplines
- Ability to read engineering drawings, blueprints and technical documents for OSP facilities
- Knowledge of OSP materials/pricing necessary to complete the job
- Knowledge of the OSP construction process
- Knowledge of project management
- Proficiency in the use of computers for word processing, spreadsheets and Email, and smartphones for texting and other field communications (Microsoft)
- Should be organized, able to make decisions and solve problems creatively and quickly, capable of multi-tasking, and be adaptable and creative in overcoming situations quickly. This position requires good communication and leadership skills, and the ability to foster teamwork.
- Some travel required
Fill out our online application
Download an application